Pages

Sunday 15 May 2011

Review: Scandinavian Weaving


Scandinavian Weaving: Projects to Make for Your Home
Tina Ingell, 2010
A&C Black Publishers

I seldom find a project based book with so many projects in it that are all so attractive to me. I brought this book with me on holiday home to Denmark so that I could have a look through it with my mother. She used to weave 20 years ago and we have great plans of setting up her old floor loom and have a go on it. This book was just the inspiration we both needed. I can see us trying out quite a few of the projects over the next couple of years.
This book, though put together and written by Tina Ignell, is really a collection of 45 patterns published in Vävmagasinet - The Swedish Weaving Magazine. The patterns include everything from blankets to hammocks. The style of the items in the book are very Scandinavian modern. They might not be to everyone's taste, but I love them!
I feel that the book is really brilliant when it comes to showing off the product of different techniques. However, be aware that there is not much in terms of explanation of the techniques themselves. Scandinavian Weaving is not, in my view, a beginners book in terms of learning to weave. But it is great for getting that all-important inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by - I would love to hear your thoughts on this post :-)